Monday, November 11, 2013

No Excuses



The number one excuse for not exercising is "I don't have time." There is a cartoon of a patient visiting his doctor, offering up that same excuse, "I just don't have time to exercise".  The doctor's response?  Do you have time to be sick, or dead?  The return on the investment we get of a relatively small amount of time dedicated to our health is immeasurable.  We already know that regular exercise reduces our risk of heart disease, cancer, and numerous other diseases, but more recent research has even suggested that being physically fit in midlife may be a preventative measure against developing diseases such as Parkinson's and Multiple Sclerosis.  Not having enough time to fit in a 30 minute exercise program that provides cardiovascular, strength, flexibility, and balance benefits is nonsense.  Do you have time to watch American Idol or your favorite TV show?  It is not a matter of not having enough time.  It is simply a matter of priorities. 

Another common excuse for not exercising is back pain, or some other limitation.  NOT moving is the worst thing you can do in most instances.  There is almost no condition or disease that will not improve with the right type of exercise.  It is important to talk to your doctor about types of exercise that are appropriate but most conditions from arthritis, to back pain, to diabetes, to osteoporosis, to Parkinson's to _______ (you fill in the blank) will improve with the right type of exercise.

Another common excuse is "I am too old or I am too young" (as in I still have kids that get in the way of exercise).  When it comes to age there is no too young or too old for exercise.  If you have children, either workout around them or with them.  Working out around them often means early morning workouts while they are still in bed.  Not an early fitness bird?  Workout with your kids.  Take a family hike or bike ride, or let the kids ride their bikes while you run.  If you are at the other end of the age spectrum, it is never too late.  As the U.S. population ages, more and more research has been done on the benefits of exercise for older adults.  Research has shown that even people in their 90s can improve mental function, balance, flexibility, and strength from participating in a regular fitness program. 

I thought I had finished this blog and had it saved to drafts, ready to post on Monday.  Then a funny thing happened.  We received an email from Amy, one of our early bird long-time Warriors, and with her permission I am posting it in this blog because it is the perfect example of how stuff, or life, just happens and seems to conspire against us and give us plenty of opportunities to find an excuse to skip our workout.  Yet she did not cave into any of the reasons she had for not doing her workout and JUST DID IT!

Here is Amy's "funny story":

Hey I didn't get a chance to tell you....I ran yesterday and it's kinda funny ;)

Tuesday night I swore I would run on Wed morning....Wed morning came and I just grumbled and scowled and didn't wanna do it...finally I forced myself to just get dressed in running clothes and just kept telling myself I was going to go run...
Took girls to school and was about to drop them off when I remembered that I was supposed to help out in Claire's classroom (great I hadn't showered yet!!!) oh well - helped out for 1/2 hr...then thought - OK I'm going to the Hilton.....got to the Hilton - NO PARKING SPOTS anywhere :(
went home.....my ear buds - brand new mind you - are missing officially....took old ones that fall out all the time....plugged them in my phone...went out to my loop on my street that I do sometimes....pandora not working - grrrrrrrrr!!!

gosh darnit - ran anyway ;)

talk about the most difficult run - geez!


As Fitness Trainers we have heard almost every excuse imaginable for missing a workout.  Achieving your health and fitness goals comes down to making lifestyle changes and it is a matter of priorities.  "If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.” ― Jim Rohn

No comments:

Post a Comment