Monday, November 3, 2014

Bio of a Metabolic Warrior: Jackie


Anyone who has been a Warrior for even a short amount of time probably knows Jackie, and knows that Jackie is all about extra credit or bonus points.  I have "known" Jackie since I moved to Sedona in 2005.  Looking back I have to concede that I would have given her many bonus points for her fitness, even prior to becoming a Metabolic Warrior.  I first came to know Jackie through a local gym where she consistently showed up morning after morning, week after week, year after year.  Score some bonus points Jackie!  I am not sure how long it was before Jackie asked a few questions about some exercises she would see me doing in the gym.  She clearly was looking to try some new things and challenge herself.  Score some more bonus points Jackie!  Then Jackie got to witness Katie and I doing metabolic training in our own workouts for about a year before we formally offered it.  Jackie asked more questions and then eventually tried the training.  Score major bonus points Jackie!  We are still working on finding something that Jackie can cash in those bonus points for, but until then here is Jackie's story.



More bonus points for a great speed skater Jackie!

1. Career? Writer

2. Age? 52

3. History of activity/fitness?
As a kid I was always outside playing sports with the neighborhood boys. The only girl around played with her dolls and never went outside, but I played basketball, football, rode my bike, skateboard and motorbike. I was a tomboy. In high school I played all sports until I injured my knee. However, all my adult life I tried to stay active, going to the gym, windsurfing, biking, etc.

4. What prompted you to start Metabolic?
I had known Sherry and Katie from the gym they are early birds like me and I saw them experimenting with the concept of metabolic at the gym. Theyd get on the elliptical machine for just a few minutes, going real fast and hard, then do some dumbbell exercises, go back to cardio, etc. When they started the class I figured it would be a good way to challenge myself.

5. How long working with Smart Fitness/Metabolic?
I honestly dont remember, but a couple of years I would guess.

6. What expected benefits have you gained from Metabolic?
Im not sure it was expected, but Im a lot stronger, I can see muscle definition in my arms and Ive lost weight.

7. What unexpected benefits have you gained from Metabolic?
I can now do a push up.grudgingly.  Actually, Im not sure that is a benefit

8. What keeps you going or inspires you with Metabolic/Smart Fitness?
What I enjoy the most are the participants. I had done some fitness classes when I was California, but the people were so competitive with one another that it wasnt that much fun. It was very intense and I swear, no one smiled. Here, it is a joy, there is a lot of joking and a great camaraderie with everyone. It isnt so serious that you cant laugh, but it is still a very tough and challenging workout.

9. What hurdles have you had to overcome to succeed in consistently attending Metabolic? (emotional, physical, mental)
For years Ive had a serious problem with low blood sugar and the first time I went to the class, it was early in the morning and I had eaten a half a banana before class. And I really suffered. It was scary with my blood sugar dropping way too much and I thought perhaps it just wasnt for me. Then I attended the afternoon session and I was fine, so that gave the encouragement that I could participate. 

I also consistently attend since I know that if I miss a class, Sherry will make me make up for it with more push ups. That keeps me on the straight and narrow. J

10. How do you successfully manage to make fitness a priority 2x’s a week or more?
Since I thoroughly enjoy it, I make a priority. Actually, its such a priority now that my family and friends all know not to ask me to do something social on Monday or Wednesday nights, and they know that if that is the only time to get together, that Im going to be late meeting up with them.

11. How has working with Smart Fitness impacted your life, point of view, changed your outlook on fitness?
UGH. Let me think.The dogs suffer on Monday and Wednesday summer nights when they want to go for a long walk at dusk and I tell them it has to be a short walk. I just want to chill. So it has adversely impacted them, but the trade off is that Im more fit. I guess another benefit is that theyve come to realize that they dont get everything they want.

12. What message do you want to share with the reader as a take away from your story?
Ive tried to get friends to join, or at least try it, but they tend to think the group is super fit and they wouldnt fit in. So I would say to anyone that is reluctant to join because they think it might be too hard, that everyone goes at their own pace and there is no pressure from the trainers. I mean they definitely push us and thats for our good and we are challenged every week, but there is no condemnation if we dont quite keep up or we need an alternate exercise so we dont adversely impact a tender joint. I think thats what helps make it so enjoyable.


1 comment:

  1. Jackie...great story, you deserve every extra credit/bonus point you receive.

    ReplyDelete